How do I report a Code Violation?

To report a code violation contact a staff member of the Community Development Department. You can find their contact information here.

What should I do if I received a notice of violation?

Please contact the Code Enforcement Officer who signed the notice. The officer will be able to assist you in resolving the situation. For more information, please contact Mike Osborn at 304-842-8237 or Andrew Junkins at 304-848-6104.

Are inspections required after the permit is issued?

Yes, construction inspections are required during the various phases of construction. You may call the City at 304-842-8218 to schedule an inspection.

What happens if I start work without first obtaining a permit?

Working without a permit may result in stop of work until a permit is issued, and a double permit fee shall be assessed, with a minimum permit fee of $100.00.

What is the code regarding maintenance on vacant structures?

Vacant structures are to be maintained to the same standards as occupied structures, with the exception that a vacant structure needs to be secured against entry.

Can I post temporary signs?

Yes, but all temporary signs must be removed within forty-eight hours after the conclusion of the event. All temporary signs still in place after said period may be confiscated by the City.