Fire Civil Service Commission
Consists of three members.
One appointed by Mayor; one appointed by the Bridgeport Lion's Club; one appointed by the local international association of fire fighters in the event that said local exists in the municipality, or in case no such local exists in the municipality, then by the local central body of the WV Federation of Labor AFL-CIO in the event that said central body exists in the municipality, or in case that no such central body exists in the municipality, then by the WV Federation of Labor AFL-CIO.
Must be qualified voters of the City and not more than two of the same political party.
Terms are four years.
At least once a year, they meet and elect one of them as president of the commission.
The Recorder serves as ex officio clerk of the firemen's civil service commission.
Powers, authority, duties:
(1) Prescribe and enforce rules and regulations for carrying into effect the civil service provisions of Article 8-15-15 of the State Code;
(2) Keep minutes of its own proceedings, and records of its examinations and other official actions;
(3) Make investigations concerning all matters;
(4) Have the power to subpoena and require the attendance of witnesses and production of books, papers, and pertinent information concerning investigation;
(5) Make an annual report to the Mayor.
Contact: Jimmy Smith
Melissa Matheny (appt. by Fire Dept.)
111 W. North Street
Appointed July 1, 2015; Expires May 14, 2017
640 Rivendell Drive
Bridgeport, WV 26330
Appointed July 11, 2016 - Expires July 11, 2020
Roger Murray (appt. by Lion's Club)
537 Hall Street
Appointed May 14, 2001; Expires September 25, 2021